Water is wet because it is water, and Christians are involved in missions because they are Christians. Missions is not a good work to gain a jewel, but a good fruit of a good Savior. Missions is the sovereign work of grace.

Posted Link:

I have posted a link here to Heartcry because sfjm supports the work, and the biblical truths that are preached through this ministry.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

“to think on death often”



I am sitting here in Starbucks, my usual activity on Wednesday evenings, while I wait for my wife to finish a bible study that she does for young girls on Wednesdays. As I take this time to finish up the sermon for Sundays and enjoy a little personal reading if time permits. The text for this week is Ephesians 2:6-7 “and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.” Not only is this an extremely rich text, but I cannot help but allow my mind to be carried into eternity. God slaughtered his own Son underneath the great weight of his wrath to raise us up and seat us in the heavenlies so that he can show us the immeasurable riches of his grace and kindness in Christ! If Christ truly dwells in your heart that should move you!


As I sit here I see so many people occupied with life. Some seem like business people in a hurry to get home, some couples on a date, and others just coming to enjoy the atmosphere of Starbucks, but all so wrapped up in living. I can’t help but wonder for what? What would drive a person to work so hard at life? Why do they wake up? I think I could surely say that for most is the preservation in this life. A great effort for temporal pleasures. How sad! That, that is simply it! When they finish their cup it is gone! As we say here in Spanish “se acabo”! So much time spent on such little value. Are we guilty of the same? So many of us waste our time on trivial things under the umbrella that we have something greater, and that somehow that gives us more freedom with our time. Not so!


I think I read it from Edwards, not sure, but it said “I resolve to think on death often and the circumstances therein.” At first glance I thought “how morbid!”, but after pondering for a few minutes, which can be very usual when reading Edwards, I saw the great value of such a thought! That my life would be spent thinking of the day He calls me up to that door! That no longer will I be looking into the mirror, but then I will see Him face to face! Faith will be no more only true fullness of delight! For all eternity God will show us, as the text says “the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.” That is what should occupy our time! There is nothing apart from that worth living for, nothing! It is my desire that I would live in such a way to “think on death often and the circumstances therein.” I encourage you to the same! That when he says “beloved, come up here” and our works are burned away, we will hear “well done”. That our time of brewing for eternity will last and its value seen and enjoyed! I hope this finds you well and that you are encouraged!


Solus Christus,

jonathan



No comments: